Thursday, March 17, 2016

Maid Job for a Shepherd Girl (part one)



I believe we all remember our first  jobs. Don't we? However, we receive  instructions  of what we'll do as we're starting our first official paid jobs.

But for me things were different. I remember my first supposedly  paid job was a maid job, the question is how did I get a job when I knew nothing about town livings? or what do maids do nor did I requested? it's kind of funny somehow I ended up like that.

So the journey started that day when  I escaped from my family and went a local small village called Magaalo Yar (Small Town) in north Somalia, I came to an elder lady sitting under a huge Acacia tree shade in her thorn branch compound  and her small hut. Water I said the elder lady who seemed to live with only her late teen son  as she gave  me a cup of water and told me to come in, she let me stay with her in the evening and we slept in the hut at night while her son slept in the compound because the hut was too small and he was old enough to sleep alone.

In the early morning she woke me up, told me to wash my face and come with her she took me to the  trucks station  I could see her glancing around to see  if someone is watching us she didn't want anyone to see us this is why we left very early before even the truck drivers and the other passengers arrived we waited and we got first truck to head to the city, this elder lady didn't say anything to where she was taking me or why she is taking me to there. I was asking myself all the time. What is going on? And she paid my fares.

When it was approximately  11 AM we arrived at the somewhat small city called Yiroowe a mountainous small town which was a village before the civil war but later people relocated and it became a small town which was good for trading goods.I was brought into  the market and the elder lady whom I never knew her name brought me to a woman seemingly relative or friend the woman was a butcher who slaughtered  sheep or goat in the early morning and sold the meat in the market with her oldest daughter who was in her 20s with a four  or five  years old daughter and of course they needed a maid and not only a  maid but also a babysitter for three kids the oldest was even older than me but he was a boy.

The ladies stood in a  corner  and discussed I didn't hear what they said, however, the elder lady went back to the village and now I was with another strangers and not know what is going on I just sat there hungry,tired and unknown of anything going on, later afternoon the butcher lady told her daughter to take me home and I was led to their home still no food because there was no food at home too the mother was expected to come back and bring any leftovers of the meat and some grocery to make dinner or ready cooked dinner.

I sat down and waited for a nice meal and a comfortable place to sleep as a guest while everyone was waiting for me to start the job as a maid, I had to clean,cook,wash clothes, babysit when the ladies are out, had to make the beds, replace the curtains and wash them and so many chores but I knew nothing I was never told I was hired as a maid the ladies went aside and whispered and even the elder lady told me nothing how am I going to start unless they tell me. However that day the first day went awfully I slept hungrily because they were six people and now I'm the seventh the dinner was not enough for me probably because I have not eaten lately.


The second day began and the ladies went to the market together we the kids were  left home and I don't remember if I ate breakfast that day all I remember was I was still  starving, there was  a leftover food in a bowl and I really wanted to eat it so badly but the boy stopped me so I left them. I mean what is the point in staying with them  since I don't know who the people were? why was I with them? and what am I supposed to do with this hunger? Damn it. I left, do I care about the money I mean it will be a month and probably I'll be gone back to nomad before I get paid so I don't care about the job I just want something to eat.

Whatever the elder lady's reason was she was supporting I believe there is a story behind her reasons and support I wish I know but unfortunately, I never saw her again . and I'm grateful that she brought me to the town and found me a job with someone she know and trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment